Friday, November 7, 2008

The things I've learned from preschool


Christina walking to school in early September.

For those of you that don't know, in September of this year Christina began preschool. Bryan and I debated long and hard about the decision to send her. For me, I wanted her to go so that she could interact more with other kids, it wasn't so much for the learning. Bryan supported my decision, however I knew he was more nervous than I was.

We had so many reasons that said she didn't have to go, she had just mastered potty training, she had a new baby brother at home, she's never been left with anyone since she was 6 months old, the list could go on. We both cried but told ourselves that at any time we could take her out and send her next year.

Hanging up her coat and backpack on her hook with Mrs. Wollf.

Fast forward 3 months and after the first week of tears by all three of us, Christina is loving it. She talks about all the kids in her class, brings home the cutest little projects (and even makes things for her brothers), but I think the best part has been the fun songs she's taught us! Bryan, Dominic and Ethan may disagree, but I've enjoyed learning my months of the year put to music, about a squiggly worm in an apple and now the latest one stuck in my head is "The Family of the Sun" (to the tune of "The Farmer in the Dell").

It goes like this:

The family of the sun, the family of the sun,

there are nine planets in the family of the sun.

Mercury is hot. Mercury is small.

Mercury has no atmosphere. It's just a rocky ball.

That's all I'll post of the song, I'm sure you get the idea. If you would like the rest, I do have it memorized, and I could always email it to you if you really want it.

All and all school has been a wonderful experience for us. Christina is loving it and learning to be a little more outgoing and independent. Mom and dad are learning that our little girl is growing up and she can do well without us. Dominic just loves the fact that sissy's school has a playground that he gets to play on when we pick her up. And Ethan, hopefully is absorbing some of the solar system knowledge!

1 comment:

Grammy Chris said...

CHRISTINA, WHAT A BIG GIRL YOU ARE GOING TO SCHOOL MAKING FRIENDS, AND HAVING FUN.. AND YOU ARE MAKING SOME OF THE COOLEST STUFF. I HEAR YOU MIGHT BE BRINGING CORN MUFFINS YOU MADE TO THANKSGIVING DINNER.LOVE YOU AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AT SCHOOL..