Sunday, November 9, 2008

Planning Dominic's Birthday Card

I'm a little behind in my planning of Dominic's birthday card for this year. While I have about a month until his actual birthday, I need to get the card done so that I can get it sent in for the birthday segments on Sprout Network.

This year it WILL happen. Dominic's card HAS to make the show. I'm obsessed. I should back up and tell you what this is all about.

Sprout network used to have a show called "The Birthday Show" that was all of 10 minutes long, and they showcased like 6 or 8 home made birthday cards that were mailed in. Christina watched this everynight before going to bed. So for her 2nd birthday I used construction paper and made a really hokey Elmo card and mailed it in. As luck (or as I like to say, my artist skills) would have it, my card made the show. It was by far the coolest thing on TV that day! We TIVO'd it and have since put it on DVD so we'll have it forever!

The outside of Christina's Elmo card.

The inside.

So needless to say, I was cocky, if I got Christina's card on TV, I could do a better card for Dominic's first birthday, mail it in, and it would for sure make the show. Since he really wasn't in to anything Sprout character wise, I decided to do Bob the Builder. I spent weeks cutting out orange and yellow squares to make Bob's shirt. And gluing them down was even more of a pain. But I was certain this card was going to make the show.

Outside of Dominic's card.

Inside of Dominic's card.

I'm sure by now you've figured out Dominic's card didn't make the show. I was so bummed. (Now that I look back, the card was kinda dorky.)

So anyway, I again decided to make Christina a card for her 3rd birthday. Afterall, she made the show last year. Well, Sprout has changed the format now, and it's a part of a 3 hour long program and they do birthday's throughout it. So now we were going to have to sit through a super long show just to see if my card made it. I'll save you the suspense - IT DID!!!! She even had some cute little comments on the pictures from the girl that hosts the show!

Here's the card:



So now if you're keeping score (which I am) it's Christina 2, Dominic 0. Dominic's card is going to be the COOLEST card this year. We went to two different stores to find paper, and I'm in the process of finding the best picture of Thomas I can copy to make the ultimate birthday card.

Ok, yes, I'm a little obsessed. But I will get Dominic's card on TV this year. With that being said, I'm going to go start looking for my Thomas picture and I'll keep you all posted on my progress. Say a prayer for me and my card!

1 comment:

Daddy said...

Wow! It looks like someone from Hallmark did those cards. I can't wait to see Dominic's next card. You are an amazing artist and mom.